Paths of Destiny
Whats….. Shush! That’s right, another original.Requirements: To become a holy avenger a character must meet the following criteria.
- Alignment: May not be true neutral or of the evil alignment.
- Special: A Holy Avenger must hold strict adherence to his or her deity’s alignment.
- Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
- Quest: A holy avenger-to-be must complete an arduous quest of some significance to their deity to demonstrate his or her devotion to their deity before they may be granted the power to carryout vengeance in their deity’s name.
- Reject Cohorts and Henchmen: A Holy Avenger may never gain followers, cohorts, henchmen or hirelings
- Reject Property: A holy avenger may not own real property – land, buildings or other holding, nor may he circumvent this by having agents or friends hold such property in their name
- Reject Wealth: A holy avenger may not possess more material wealth than is required to feed, clothe and house her person in a modest fashion
- Reject Material Property and Magic: A Holy Avenger may not carry more than his arms and armor, a pack with simple equipment, equipment for his mount, simple religious items and simple clothes
- Reject Disguise: As an embodiment of Truth, a Holy Avenger may not thwart truth, regardless how noble the goal
- Reject Falsehood: A holy avenger may not lie, regardless how noble the goal
- Torment: The above rules allow evil NPCs (or characters) to torment Holy Avengers – attempting to give them wealth, magically disguising them against their will, etc.
- Interaction with Paladin Levels: Taking levels as a Holy Avenger does not count as multiclassing if the PC’s prior levels include paladin levels. Note that taking levels as a Holy Avenger does not cause the PC to lose her paladin levels as detailed in the PHB. In addition, a Holy Avenger may take Paladin levels after taking a level in Holy Avenger without penalty – freely switching back and forth if so desired
- Aura of Good (Ex): The power of a Holy Avenger’s aura of good (see the detect good spell) is equal to his class level plus his cleric level, if any
- Detect Evil (Sp): At will, a holy avenger can use detect evil as a spell-like ability, duplicating the effect of the detect evil spell
- Mark of Justice (Sp): The Holy Avenger has the ability to pass holy judgment on others and place a mark of justice on persons so judged as a supernatural ability
- Enemy of Evil (Ex): A holy avenger gains a divine bonus to hit and damage against evil-aligned undead and outsiders
- Consecrate (Su): The holy avenger gains the ability to cast the consecrate spell as a supernatural ability
- Sunder Evil (Su): A holy avenger can charge her weapon with positive energy, causing an effect similar a disrupting weapon spell
- Arm of Vengeance (Su): A holy avenger can invoke an arm of vengeance as a supernatural ability
- Scourge of Evil (Ex): A holy avenger gains an additional divine bonus to attack and damage, and increased critical threat range against all Evil-aligned creatures (of all types). This ability stacks with the Enemy of Evil ability.
- Holy Word (Sp): A holy avenger gains the supernatural ability to speak a holy word which he can utter as the spell
- Demon Slayer (Ex): A holy avenger becomes an evil killing machine. His critical threat range is increased against Evil Outsiders and Undead. Note: this ability stacks with the Scourge of Evil ability as well as the Improved Critical feat
- Smites, Seals and Judgments: A holy avenger who has levels of paladin/ deathknight still gain effect increases of these abilities when they gain levels of Holy Avenger as if they had advanced in levels of paladin/ deathknight. Note that when a character advances a level of Holy Avenger they do not gain additional paladin/ deathknight abilities
- Ascended Deathknight: Holy avengers who have levels in the deathknight class (that is to say, are now ex-deathknights) gain extra abilities the more levels of deathknight they have An ascended deathknight who becomes a Holy Avenger gains all of the following abilities that apply, according to the number of deathknight levels the character has
- The Holy avenger’s Divine familiar: A holy avenger of sufficient level can call a celestial creature of size small or smaller to be his companion